Riding Abroad

If you are a UK national, then in order to comply with both FEI rules and Endurance GB rules you must ensure you as a rider have the following before competing in endurance rides abroad – whether you are visiting that country or are a permanent resident there.

For any ride abroad

  • You must be a full member of Endurance GB for that year
  • You must have a current and valid "No Objection Certificate" (NOC), issued by Endurance GB, for the country you wish to ride in.  

The NOC is to confirm that your home federation are happy that you are qualified to ride at the distance that you are entering and that there are no disciplinary matters precluding you from competing. Obtaining authorisation from your home federation before you compete abroad is something that is common across all sporting disciplines; the requirement is not unique to equestrianism.

Endurance GB approve NOCs for riders for endurance riding in line with our domestic qualification criteria: novice (up to 50km), open (up to 80km) and advanced (80km+ inc FEI). 

You can apply for an NOC by emailing the EGB office and stating your name, EGB number, EGB qualification level and the country that you require the NOC for.  

Please note an NOC is only valid until the end of that year and only for the country that you initially specified. You will need to apply separately for every country you wish to take part in an Endurance ride in. Any competition abroad requires a NOC – no exceptions, Endurance GB rule 1.1.8 refers.

CEN Rides

  • Any UK citizen who is a full Endurance GB member can enter a CEN abroad, as long as they hold a NOC that permits them to compete at that distance and they are also qualified under the criteria required by the country hosting the ride. Be careful: the Endurance GB qualification criteria and the qualification criteria required by the ride may be different and you will need to comply with both  
  • If you wish to use a CEN completed overseas as an FEI qualifier, you must have been a member of Endurance GB and in possession of the appropriate NOC for the class when you took part in the ride. If you were not a member of Endurance GB at the time or were not in possession of the appropriate NOC, Endurance GB will not recognise your results of the ride and you will have to re-do the qualification. 

FEI Rides 

  • To qualify for FEI rides abroad, you must complete the relevant FEI qualification rides and also complete the relevant Endurance GB qualifications through 'Novice' and 'Open' level as per Endurance GB rules. Once you have completed your Endurance GB qualifications you will be eligible for an 'Advanced level' NOC.
  • You must have a valid FEI rider registration for the year you wish to compete. You can pay for this using the Endurance GB shop.
  • The horse and trainer(s) must have current and valid FEI registrations. If the horse is not an Endurance GB horse, you will need to speak with the trainer to get this paid up through their own national federation. Endurance GB are unable to do this on behalf of another national federation.
  • All entries for FEI rides must be done through the EGB office who will process your entry on the FEI Entry Database. You must give a minimum of 2 working days' notice of your entry before the ride entries close (not including weekends). This allows for the entry to be made and if there are any issues with making the entry, there is then adequate time to get this resolved. 

For more information on the FEI rules you can follow this link. https://inside.fei.org/fei/regulations/endurance

Please note that as an Endurance GB member competing abroad, you remain subject to Endurance GB and British Equestrian Federation rules and the Endurance GB Disciplinary Code. You are also responsible for the conduct of your crew. We expect the highest standards of behaviour from our members, wherever in the world they may live and ride.